Run For Their Lives KOP Virtual Race
Keeping Our Promise Inc. invites you to participate in Run for their Lives - a Virtual Run Walk Bike Wheel or Ride Race to support our local Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) resettlement program. The race period will begin June 14th and end on Sunday, June 20, 2021, at 5 pm EDT to coincide with World Refugee Day. You can submit your race results anytime during this period. We want to honor the journey that our wartime allies endured in order to resettle in the Rochester area. For some of our SIV friends, this journey took years while their lives and those of their family members were in immediate danger as a direct result of having supported the wartime efforts of the United States.
Unlike a traditional race, this virtual race takes place wherever you are and at whatever time you want to get started. Each participant will receive an event t-shirt and we hope that they are worn as each participant completes their own personal race. Participants will have an opportunity to select their t-shirt size during the registration process. We will have a pickup event for local races and will mail out t-shirts to those that are not local but participating and supporting our event from afar.
The registration cost is $35 per participant. The t-shirt guarantee registration deadline is May 24, 2021, but registration will remain open until June 20, 2021.
You have 4 distances to run, walk, bike, wheel or ride on horseback to complete your race.
Challenge 1: 5K - 3.1 miles
Challenge 2: 10K - 6.2 miles
Challenge 3: 15K - 9.3 miles
Challenge 4: Half Marathon - 13.1 miles
Choose the distance you'd like to challenge yourself with and register here.
Other ways to support the race:
- After registering for your distance, become an individual fundraiser to help us reach our fundraising goal of $40,000. It is simple to create your own personal or team fundraising page and the page is easily shareable to your network. Please ask your friends and family to sponsor you for the race. Whether you raise $10 or $1000, any amount will help with resettlement costs for the new SIV families arriving in the Rochester area.
-Ask your employer or have your business become a sponsor of our virtual race. Information on Sponsorship opportunities can be found here: Sponsorship Opportunities. If you prefer to send a check, make sure to include "Run For Their Lives Sponsorship" in the memo line. Deadline for Sponsorships is May 24, 2021.
- You can make a direct donation to our Virtual Race and show your support from the comfort of your own home.
- Help us get others involved and share the race with your community on social media by providing the registration link to our fundraiser. Send your network to our event page.
100% of the proceeds and donations will go towards supporting the mission of Keeping Our Promise Inc.
Your participation in this event will directly benefit the SIVs that resettle in the Rochester, New York area by raising funds so that we can continue to provide them with a comprehensive resettlement program that includes: paying for their first month's rent and security, fully furnishing their new home and offering a modest car grant among other services.
How it works:
- Have fun!
- You can run, walk, bike, wheel (for our wheelchair participants) or horseback ride anywhere you want, including a treadmill.
- Be safe - follow your local social distancing safety protocols for outdoor activities.
- You can track your miles any way you like and with your preferred device. You can also keep track of your miles
without a device.
- You will be submitting your miles through Keeping Our Promise's leaderboard. It is all on the honor system. We trust you to
accurately report your race results.
Keeping Our Promise Inc.'s virtual race encourages movement of all kinds and we hope you will choose whatever mode
works best for you!
Prizes will be given to the top two individual fundraisers.
You can share your race story with KOP to our social media pages by using the hashtag #KeepingOurPromise
We look forward to virtually racing with you!
Thank you to our sponsors!