End of Year Giving Campaign
The Bicycle - A Vehicle for Revolution
Together we can advance the social justice and racial equality movement from a grassroots level by providing bikes and education to folks from all walks of life who wouldn’t have otherwise had access.
Year-round volunteer support and financial contributions help us create new, innovative, and socially conscious initiatives aimed at growing a bicycle culture that reflects the diversity of our community. Help us reach our goal of $10,000, and together we will gear up for another year making an impact: getting more people on bicycles.
Your donation will be instrumental in keeping up this momentum. Please consider also donating to our BIPOC-led community partners: Humanize My Hoodie, The Multicultural Development Center of Iowa, and The South District Neighborhood Association.
Your contribution will directly impact our efforts to:
- Empower kids to bike through the pandemic safely through Bike Club and WERide
- Compensate staff who work to fuel the revolution: Director, Audrey, Volunteer Coordinator, McGuirk, and Lead Mechanic, Drew
- Increase opportunities for volunteers to wrench and pass on bike mechanic knowledge by offering free maintenance classes twice a week
- Increase opportunities for community members to ride a bicycle through the pandemic by offering a large selection of quality bikes at affordable prices
- With help from our partners at Multicultural Development Center of Iowa, provide free STEM ‘Build Your Own Bike Light’ classes for Bike Club kids
- Sponsor a Bike program get Johnson Co. residents bikes who might not otherwise have the means
Impact by the numbers:
- 401 more people riding bikes in 2020 thanks to your donations of bikes and bike parts and the hard work of our volunteers and staff!
- 40 kids educated on bike safety and riding strategies through our Bike Club on the Southside.
- 300+ books delivered via bicycle in partnership with Prairie Lights through our “Bike the Books” initiative when the pandemic hit
- 20 new volunteers onboarded to the Bike Librarian team
- 144 refurbished bikes checked out
- 186 additional bicycles sold
- 50 bicycles donated to Kids Bike Club (some of their parents received bikes too)
- 21 bikes donated to those in need in partnership with South District Neighborhood Association at events including “Get Out the Vote”
Community partners + donated bicycles + staff and volunteers = a world of magic on two wheels. 2020 community partners include: Prairie Lights, Working Bikes, Johnson County Board of Supervisors, Humanize My Hoodie, The VA, Shelter House, Multicultural Development Center of Iowa, South District Neighborhood Association, Neighborhood Centers of Johnson County, Girls on the Run, ICPD.