2021 Tread Red Walk and Fun Run
End Stigma. Make History. Save Lives. Virtually or In Person.
Help your friends, family, and neighbors living with HIV, Hep C. and diabetes get the support they need.
Tread Red 2021 will be a combination of VIRTUAL and in person activities.
For all in person activities, face masks will be required along with other recommended public safety protocols.
The Tread Red Walk & Run is a community fund and friend-raising event held annually to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, diabetes, and other health factors negatively impacting rural communities in South Alabama. Whereas the live event of years past were confined largely to a single day in September before 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic gave way to "30 Days to Tread Red" extending the time for everyone who wished to take part. A similar strategy will be in place for 2021, but with large numbers of in person supporters welcome to join MAO team members for campaign events as long as proper COVID-19 safety precautions are supported.
Proceeds from the event make it possible for Medical Advocacy & Outreach (MAO) to provide medical, dental, and behavioral care, social services, and general support to people living with HIV regardless of their ability to pay, and to build a healthier tomorrow through risk reduction activities, including PrEP, and prevention education about HIV, Hepatitis C, STIs, diabetes. Proceeds also support MAO's exploration into broader aspects of rural care based on documented need as well as ongoing behavioral services designed to address issues of substance use disorder and the stresses associated with managing co-existing health conditions. Through its clinical areas, MAO supports more than 2,000 individuals spanning 28 counties in South Alabama, and continues to respond to the changing needs of Alabama's most rural citizens. MAO also provides free onsite and in the community HIV testing as well as home self-administered HIV testing kits to hundreds every year. Prevention education and outreach programs impact more than 4,500 people every year. When we Walk, we walk TOGETHER - even when we are physically far apart!
Be a part walking or running alone or as a team in your home, backyard, local park and/or on the streets with MAO while wearing your mask! Help remove the stigma and get your friends, family, and neighbors the support they need to live. What will you Tread Red for in 2021?
FOR THOSE WHO LIKE COMPETITION, incentive prizes will be awarded for individuals and teams raising the most money and involving the most supporters.
Teams raising $1,500 or more will:
• Receive 2021 Tread Red key chains for every member of their team.
• Be eligible to compete to receive a Bragging Rights trophy should their team’s total collections exceed those of other teams.
• Be eligible to compete to receive a dinner for their team (up to 10 people) (alcohol not included, cash bar available) should their team’s total collections exceed those of other teams.
Individuals not participating as part of a team raising $500 or more will:
• Receive a 2021 Tread Red themed t-shirt.
• Be eligible to compete for a MAO/Tread Red branded gift pack (travel mug and draw string easy carry tote bag, and a 2021 Tread Red themed key chain) should their total collections exceed those of other individual participants.
• Be eligible to receive a two-night hotel stay with dinner at a select 4+ star hotel in South Alabama should their total collections exceed those of other individual participants.
2021 SPONSORSHIP COMMITMENTS ARE ALSO NOW BEING ACCEPTED!