Starting Point Reentry Act - AB 717
Our Road is working hard to Pass AB 717 – The Starting Point Reentry Act so that people leaving prison to obtain documents such as a birth certificate & social security card, which are needed to get a CAL ID. An ID is critical to come home & access benefits, housing, medical care, jobs, & so much more.
We are advocating with a coalition to uplift the dignity of formerly incarcerated people leaving prison who will now have a valid ID in hand as valued community members of California who are on the path to reentry success.
AB 717 will increase the eligibility for the CAL ID program, including those serving life or long sentences. In 2019, Only 29% of people were released with IDs, leaving 71% of these individuals without identification upon return home, creating an onerous reentry process to obtain an ID.
Please donate today to ensure that every person can receive an ID before they come home, so they have a chance to overcome reentry barriers and thrive once they return to their communities.
AB 717 has specific provisions to support people who have served multi-decade sentences so they can make a smooth transition home accessing all the services they need.
Your donation will make a difference in the lives of thousands of people coming home!