Please join us to raise $10,000 and sponsor a new cohort of Bronx Loaf teen writers.
Yaye: Finding Her Voice, Finding Her Way to Success
Bronx Loaf is a free, weeklong creative writing program held every summer in the Bronx. Before the pandemic shut us down for two years, we had served nearly 300 teen writers from New York City.
If you want to know why Bronx Loaf matters, and why we're asking for your help to revive it, look no further than Yaye. Yaye came to Bronx Loaf in in the summer of 2018. When she was first paired with her workshop leader, the acclaimed sci-fi fantasy author Amy Ewing, she was struggling with confidence and self-image. She loved to read and write, but Yaye had never shared her writing in public. Nor had she thought of herself as a writer. Nor could she see much of a future for herself.
Over the course of our weeklong summer session, Yaye participated in Amy's workshop on fiction and met with her for one-one-one conferences. Amy encouraged Yaye to develop her talent for writing and to pursue higher education. Amy even helped Yaye overcome her biggest fear: sharing her writing in public. Though it wasn't easy to quell her nerves, Yaye delivered a truly magnificent reading at Cafe Raven. Can you imagine the confidence boost that comes from having a New York Times Bestselling author to mentor you? To believe in you?
Amy shares her enthusiasm, but refuses to take credit: “Yaye is an incredible young woman and continues to inspire me through her determination and hard work.”
Learn more about Bronx Loaf here.
What Your Gift Will Accomplish
With your support, more young people like Yaye will have the opportunity to thrive. As the saying goes: many hands make the work light. Together we can buoy the next generation of writers and build a better tomorrow. The voice of the city will speak once again!
- Your gift of $25 sponsors writing supplies for five Bronx Loafers (half of a workshop)
- Your gift of $50 sponsors writing supplies for one workshop
- Your gift of $100 sponsors one daily breakfast for our Loafers
- Your gift of $250 sponsors one daily catered local lunch for our Loafers
- Your gift of $500 sponsors one Loafer for the entire week of Bronx Loaf
- Your gift of $750 sponsors the cost of our publishing party at the legendary Nuyorican Poets Cafe in the Fall
- Your gift of $1000 sponsors the cost of one workshop leader for the entire week
- Your gift of $1250 sponsors the publication of our anthology Breaking Bread
- Your gift of $5000 sponsors the cost of an entire workshop for a full week of Bronx Loaf. Bonus: The workshop will compose an official ode to you and your large-hearted generosity.