2021 CFC Air, Water and Earth Tour
California Fall Challenge In-Person Event (COVID-modified style)
Date: Sunday, September 19, 2021
Time: 8:45am - 12:00pm
Join naturalists Dr. Merav Vonshak, Michael Hawk, and Karan Gathani for a family-friendly educational walking tour at Hellyer Park in San Jose that will explain the ecology of life in three environments: air, water, and soil. Participants will be split into three groups and will spend 45 minutes on each theme, with walking breaks in between each section to reach each activity area. They will:
- Learn about the diverse natural history at local parks
- Discover how this diversity supports bird life
- Develop a newfound respect for often overlooked, but equally fascinating, creatures
Binoculars are recommended for observing birds, dragonflies, and more. Each participant will walk away with a portable microscope at the end of the tour.
This event is part of SFBBO's 40th Anniversary California Fall Challenge (CFC) fundraiser. Minimum $20 donation to register. Participants may make an extra $55 donation to be eligible to receive our 2021 CFC T-Shirt. This year's shirt is a beautiful multi-colored design created by artist Julie Ho that depicts 40 birds for 40 years. The estimated value of the t-shirt ($22) is not tax deductible.
Merav Vonshak is a citizen science and community science organizer who leads public bioblitz events in the South Bay, where people join together to learn about their local environment while documenting its diversity. She organizes events and leads hikes and workshops in collaboration with many organizations, and founded the BioBlitz.Club, a home for citizen science events in the South Bay, where people can learn about future activities and download free material, such as bird and flower guides. She has a BA in Biology, an MSc in Ecology, and a PhD in Zoology and teaches natural history at San Jose State University.
Michael Hawk runs Nature's Archive, a podcast where he interviews ecologists, educators, researchers, conservationists, and others who have made a difference in conserving the natural world and educating the public about the importance of preservation. He has worked in Tech in Silicon Valley for over 20 years and works to combine his tech approach with his passion for nature and ecology to inspire listeners to make a difference, too.
Karan Gathani is an SFBBO Board Member and a volunteer with SFBBO's habitats team working on habitat restoration projects in tidal marsh habitat. Karan graduated in 2019 from the California Naturalist program. Besides spending time in nature, Karan works as a QA engineer at a healthcare startup in San Francisco.
While the SFBBO welcomes support from everyone, the walk will be limited to 30 participants in this family-friendly event.
All volunteers and participants will be asked to please follow the social distancing protocols:
- Wear face masks at all times during the event
- Stay 6 feet apart from others who are not in your household
- Do not share common touch items (scopes, binoculars, clipboards, handouts, books etc.) with people outside your household
- HEALTH CHECK – prior to the event all participants will be asked to do a self-health assessment at home and fill out a form asking if they are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms and if they or anyone they live with have COVID-19 or have been in contact with anyone who has COVID-19. If they answer yes to any of these, we hope you can still support the California Fall Challenge but ask that you please stay at home.
Please also reference the CDC's social distancing guidelines.
The California Fall Challenge (CFC) is SFBBO's biggest annual fundraising campaign. Our goal for this year's 40th Anniversary CFC is to raise $40,000 to support our work throughout the year and we hope you will participate and help us to reach our goal! Please register below. Further event details will be sent to you before the event. Questions? Please contact email@example.com.
More fun California Fall Challenge events are scheduled for September and October including great speakers and in-person events. Please check them out!
Thank you for your Support!