Double Your Impact!
Every Dollar Contributed Will Be Matched By Our Generous Sponsors
Please join us this #GivingTuesday to sponsor two campers next summer!
Sasha's Story: Exploring New Territory
When Sasha decided to join Water Wanderings in 2020, she was bravely stepping into the unknown. She had very little experience with canoeing and remote camping, and she was not a particularly confident swimmer. Nevertheless, she took the leap and joined a group of 8 other girls for Water Wanderings Session II 2020. When she arrived, Sasha was quiet, but confident, saying goodbye to her loving mother without a fuss and joining the other campers for their intro to paddling workshop with Rei.
Sasha brought a vibrant and joyous energy to the group, which only grew as the week bore on. Her paddling skills steadily increased throughout the week, and she became more and more adventurous with swimming. By the middle of the week, she was swimming in the rain after a long walk and telling stories around the fire at night. Water Wanderings provided Sasha with an opportunity to try something new and engage with other young people her age after a long time of isolation during the pandemic. She embraced the challenges and joys of backcountry living and made connections with other campers. These experiences were made possible by generous donations to our scholarship fund.
Sasha's mom is a hard-working woman who is deeply involved in many projects to improve the Morrisville community such as the Racial Equity Alliance of Lamoille. As a single parent with a fixed income and no child support, the lowest end of Water Wanderings' sliding scale was not feasible for her. Thanks to our supporters, Water Wanderings was able to offer a full scholarship to Sasha and ensure cost was not a barrier to her participation. With your support, we can provide more scholarships to campers like Sasha and continue to offer our generous sliding scale to all campers to ensure Water Wanderings is economically accessible.
"Thank you so much for the chance to go to this camp!! I hope I can come again and bring a friend."
*Sasha's name was changed in this story to protect her identity.
What Your Gift Will Accomplish
With your support, more young people like Sasha will have the opportunity to explore the outdoors and build new connections. As the saying goes: many hands make the work light. And thanks to our generous sponsors, every dollar raised is matched, up to $1,100.
- Your gift of $25 covers the cost of journals for four campers.
- Your gift of $50 covers one camper's portion of the campsite fees at Green River Reservoir.
- Your gift of $100 covers the cost of food for two campers during Water Wanderings.
- Your gift of $200 covers the cost of transporting Water Wanderings' canoes to and from the reservoir.
- Your gift of $1000 covers the full cost of sponsoring one camper who otherwise would not be able to attend an overnight summer camp.
The first 10 people to donate $100 or more will receive a copy of the 2021 liberation calendar from the Ricardo Levins Morales Art Studio. Every gift makes a difference!
Volunteer and In-Kind Donation Opportunities
Making a monetary contribution is by no means the only way to support Water Wanderings in advancing our mission! We rely on support from our community to keep our costs as low as possible through in-kind donations and volunteered time. The list below highlights a few of the ways you can get involved and make an impact this year.
- Become a peer-to-peer fundraiser and rally your network to raise funds during our year-end campaign.
- Volunteer with Water Wanderings by lending your skills in graphic design, marketing, fundraising, gear maintenance and repair, or other area of expertise relevant to supporting our mission. If you are interested, please contact us at [email protected].
- Help Water Wanderings connect with more local farms and businesses to solicit donations of food, such as bread, cheese, produce or whole grains.
- Lend Water Wanderings your canoe during camp.
- Share information about Water Wanderings with your friends and family who might be interested in attending camp or making a donation to support our mission and vision.