VAFMA Market Manager Certification Program 2022
VAFMA Market Manager Certification Course
Farmers market management requires a wide range of knowledge & skills to create a profitable market for farmers, a vibrant and diverse shopping experience for consumers, and a market that engages community partners. Market Managers have requested comprehensive training and we have heard your voices. The Virginia Farmers Market Association (VAFMA) is pleased to offer a 14-week interactive, engaging, student-centered learning experience addressing real-world market issues. This certification program will train market managers in best practices on the following topics:
- The Role of Market Manager
- Market Rules, Policies, and Governance
- Market Operations: Accounting, Sales & Expenses, SNAP
- Conflict Management
- Special Events: Planning
- Marketing and Social Media
- Grant Writing and Fundraising
- Market Data & Reporting
- Food Safety at the Market
- Racial Equity at the Farmers Market
- Online Platforms
- How to Recruit Vendors
- The Certified Farmers Market
Outcomes of Certification:
Program participants who complete the full curriculum requirements will receive a signed certificate and will have earned the title of Certified Market Manager. As a professionally trained Certified Market Manager, graduates of the program will:
- Be fully knowledgeable in today’s best practices for managing farmers markets
- Learn strategic tactics to expand and optimize their farmers market potential
- Be equipped to build successful relationships with farmers, shoppers, and politicians
- Use their certification to leverage support and funding for their market
Requirements for Certification:
1. Complete assigned modules during course & engage in weekly discussions throughout the program.
2. Complete all homework assignments and post within two weeks for each session (not all sessions will require homework).
3. Complete all quizzes for each section scoring a minimum of 80%.
Dates of Classes:
Online sessions Fridays 10:00 AM-12:00 noon January 21 – April 22, 2022
All sessions are completed through online webinars held on Friday mornings from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM. Participants must have regular access to the internet and a computer with video/sound capabilities.
14 weeks. Every module has homework and the opportunity to participate in a discussion group with a trained professional in that area of study.
Sessions will be recorded for participants to review at a later time if needed.
VAFMA will provide 3 needs-based scholarships — 1 full and 2 partial. Email Kim Hutchinson outlining need.
Checks will also be accepted. Enter the coupon code “Check” when registering and send your check to:
Virginia Farmers Market Association
14241 Midlothian Trnpk, #153
Midlothian, Virginia 23113
Thank You to our Sponsors & Partners!
Virginia Family Nutrition Program
Virginia Cooperative Extension