Perspectives in Substance Abuse Prevention
Professional Development for Social Workers, Counselors & Nurses!
Perspectives in Substance Abuse Prevention
presented by MAO Behavioral Health & Medical Advocacy and Outreach
Thursday, October 27, 2021
11:15 AM – 2 PM
2.5 CONTACT HOURS POSSIBLE
FREE ADVANCE REGISTRATION REQUIRED!
(includes audio/video learning experience, course materials and Certificate of Completion with contact hours)
REGISTRATION ENDS ON 10/24/21 AT 10 PM
Partial credit will not be offered. Additional instructions associated with confirmation of credit may be provided at the time of training.
Refund Policy: This training is offered at no expense to participants. For fee-based programs, registration fees are nonrefundable. MAO does retain the right to consider each situation on a case by case basis entirely.
Internet, Computer &/or Smart Phone Required. Instructions provided via email prior to training.
- Describe a multi-layered strategy for implementing prescription drug take back programs in health care and social service settings
- Discuss recent trends and updates in psychopharmacology and its impact on the national opioid crisis
- Provide a community agency and peer based perspective on substance abuse prevention
Agenda (Subject to change.):
11:15 AM - 11:30 AM Welcome Remarks. Review of Training Expectations and Continuing Education Requirements
11:30 AM – 12:00 PM
Take Back, Educate and Inundate in Ryan White Care Settings
Presenter: Elana Merriweather, Ed.S., LPC, AADC, Director of Behavioral Health, Medical Advocacy and Outreach
- Explain an innovative approach to prescription drug disposal in Ryan White medical care settings
- Discuss the benefits of a multilayered response strategy to address the state opioid crisis in human service agencies
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
Perspectives on Psychopharmacology
Presenter: Dr. Will Rutland, MD, JD, MPH, Addiction Psychiatry Fellow Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry
- List commonly used psychotropic medications for patients with comorbid health conditions
- Discuss prescribing trends for patients with mental health disorders during a dual pandemic
- Discuss the benefits of the PDMP program for physicians and health care providers
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Prescription Medications: A Community Perspective on Preventing Misuse and Abuse
Presenter: Yvette Hester, M.Ed., Director of Recovery Support Services, NCADD Council On Substance Abuse (COSA)
- Provide an overview of substance abuse prevention initiatives offered by the Council on Substance Abuse
- Explain how peer support and recovery services are used to address prescription misuse and abuse
- List community resources that are available to assist people with opioid and other substance use disorders
Should you have questions about this training and its content, email [email protected].
Should you experience difficulty with the online registration process email [email protected].
Contact Hours/Credit Statement (s): (As of 10/04/21)
Counselors: Medical Advocacy & Outreach (MAO) has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6882. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. MAO is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. This activity has been approved for up to 2.5 contact hour for counselors.
Social Workers: Medical Advocacy and Outreach (MAO) has been approved by the Alabama Board of Social Work Examiners as a provider of Continuing Education for social workers, Provider No. 0134. Exp. 3/31/2023. This activity has been approved for up to 2.5 contact hours (clinical) for social workers.
Nurses: Medical Advocacy & Outreach is an approved continuing education provider of the Alabama Board of Nursing, ABNP 1554, exp. 10/24/2024. This activity has been approved for up to 2.5 contact hour for nurses.
Conflict of interest:
There is no conflict of interest for anyone in a position to control content for this activity.
This activity is provided independently by MAO.
Instructions for Claiming Continuing Education Credit:
To receive credit, learners must complete the requirements listed here.
1) Use your full name and email address when logging in to view the webinar. The name you enter in the GoToWebcast system is the name that will print on your Contact Hours certificate.
2) When prompted, provide your discipline, state, and license number, if applicable. Failure to provide complete and accurate information will delay issuance of CE credit.
Following the presentation, a continuing education contact hours certificate will be emailed to all attendees who successfully complete the requirements for earning credit. Certificate emails are automated and will come from [email protected]. Please add this email address to your contacts to ensure that you receive your certificate.
For questions regarding Continuing Education, please email [email protected].
Please check back soon!
This campaign has ended or is not currently active.
Contact us if you would like more information on how to support!