2021 Annual Appeal
Something special this year! Donations will be matched up to $100,000!
What a year this has been!
The Eye Cancer Foundation has been working hard, despite what the world around us throws our way! Here are some highlights:
- We updated and redesigned our website (www.eyecancercure.com) to make information more accessible to patients, families, physicians, and others. It’s beautiful, don’t you think?
- Funded by The Myrna and John Daniels Family, The Paul Finger Fund and The Eye Cancer Foundation, an internet-based data-research repository was created to evaluate the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) staging system for retinoblastoma (RB) and answer important clinical questions that have confounded specialists around the world. That is why 18 RB specialist centers from 13 countries on 6 continents worked together to contribute, pool and analyze data from a combined 2,190 retinoblastoma patients. This AJCC Ophthalmic Oncology Task Force found that the AJCC-RB classification worked better than the currently used classifications which focused on ocular survival. The Eye Cancer Foundation sponsored fellow, Ankit Tomar, MD led this effort and then showed that this same registry information could be used to investigate the impact of floating intraocular retinoblastoma seeds on patient outcomes! This is The Eye Cancer Foundation making a huge difference!
- The Eye Cancer Foundation-supported Fellows Program was interrupted as Covid-19 prohibited international travelling. ECF worked to meet this challenge by brainstorming new ways to provide fellowship education through virtual means. While in-person fellowships may be on pause, the Foundation initiated the development of an online certification course in retinoblastoma, titled International Retinoblastoma Comprehensive Course (IRBCC). This way, ophthalmologists around the world may still save the lives of children with retinoblastoma eye cancer despite COVID limitations. Even more progress!
- The Eye Cancer Foundation received the 2021 Platinum Seal of Transparency from GuideStar. Second year in a row!
We are doing great work!
I hope you feel as good as I do about these successes.... because The Eye Cancer Foundation is all about the effort we all make every day throughout the year. We are about getting things done! And your contribution, be it monetary, professional, voluntary, or spiritual makes you part of the Foundation’s work. It is our Foundation.
We, literally, could not do this work without your participation. Thank you!
Something special this year! Check this out!
The reality is that your financial support is crucial to our success. I write to you every year, at this time, to ask for your help; but this year we have an exciting way to make this the most successful year in our history! Two very generous benefactors have joined forces to match our donations! This means that whatever you give will be doubled (up to a grand total of $100,000). Your donation must be sent by December 31st to be eligible for this match. This is an amazing opportunity and I urge you to be as generous as possible. Let’s take advantage of this opportunity!
And here are some ways you can help us reach this goal!
- If you have already donated during the year, consider making another gift so you can be part of this history-making effort.
- This is perfect opportunity to donate securities that have appreciated during the year. (You get a charitable tax deduction and avoid capital gains tax and our benefactor will match the monetary value of your securities!)
- Consider giving The Eye Cancer Foundation a larger gift than you might have originally been planning.
- If you ever considered giving from your Individual Retirement Account, with the tax incentives and other benefits that this can bring, this is the ideal time to do so.
- Spread the word about this campaign to your relatives, friends, associates, colleagues, and acquaintances, either personally or through social media.
- Go to our website www.eyecancercure.com or call us (212-832-8170) for even more ways to participate.
We can do this!
And together, The Eye Cancer Foundation, our Foundation, will enter 2022 stronger than ever. I’m counting on you. Imagine the good WE will be able to do!
Thank you so very much.
Paul T. Finger, MD