Stepping Out to Stop Stigma
of an abundance of caution, and a healthy dislike for being outdoors
during a thunderstorm, ALFA is rescheduling this event from May 14th to August 27th.
On August 27th, 2022 ALFA will hold its 1st Annual Stepping Out to Stop Stigma 0.5K (Yes, “Point” 5). The “race for the rest of us” is a "challenging" entire ½ kilometer, where competitors are rewarded not only with the satisfaction of ridding our community of stigma, but also participation medals, cool swag, waffles and coffee, a donut in the middle, and a beer/soda & tacos waiting at the finish line.
Your registration includes:
- Entry into our 0.5k
- An amazing 0.5k Shirt
- A participation medal/bottle opener
- A commemorative race bib to prove to your runner friends that you too entered a race (some runners frame these things! Can you believe that?!)
- A 0.5K Euro sticker so you look like a bad ass runner as you drop off your kids at school
- Tokens for waffles, coffee, a donut, a taco and a beer/soda
- The satisfaction that comes with helping wipe out stigma in our community
- An "aid" station half way through - think donuts and a smoking break
- Activities to prove your strength and agility - think hula hoop obstacle course
- Option to upgrade to VIP status and take a shuttle
- High Heel Dash
- and more!
If you want to be super duper bad ass, create a team and ask your friends or coworkers to join and compete for awards such as largest team, best team spirit, most money raised. You will get a link to the Team page once you are registered!
Where does the money go?
Good question! The past few years have been a time of remarkable growth for ALFA, as we respond to emerging public health crises - in particular an increase in HIV and Hepatitis C infections, and opioid/injection drug use in our service region.... and of course COVID-19 (obs). In addition to HIV services, ALFA has added new services including Hepatitis C testing and linkage to care, STI testing, Syringe Access Services, Naloxone Distribution, PrEP Navigation services, COVID-19 testing, a dedicated Housing Department, a mobile testing unit, and we opened a two additional sites - downtown Hickory & Morganton! (And we are *exhausted*)
ALFA now serves 3 times as many people as in 2016!
All of this would not be possible without the generous support from our community.
10 - 11am
- check in/registration at Steve's Place parking lot
- pre "race" stretches led by a fitness instructor
- waffles and coffee
- tour Steve's Place
- on your marks and go! to the midway aid station
- "obstacle" course
- more carbs! - donuts!
- tacos & beer
- High Heel Dash