FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
2023 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION PACKET
Since 1998, the Franklin Township Dr. Martin Luther King Community Foundation has awarded scholarships exclusively to Franklin Township Public School graduating seniors, who are continuing their education at accredited colleges or professional schools. Scholarships are offered in three (3) categories: Academic, Community Service, and Financial Need. You may submit your application for any of the three categories. If eligible, you may apply for more than one scholarship category on this single application. Be sure to include all documents that are required for the scholarship(s) you are applying. Scholarship recipients are selected and ranked based on a review of the below listed criteria from each category. To apply, please complete this application packet in its entirety as it pertains to the category you are applying for.
1) All candidates must meet the following qualifications:
a) Acceptance as a candidate to an accredited college or professional school
b) Graduating this year, June 2023, from a Franklin Township Public High School
2) All candidates must complete the Application Form and include the following items in the application packet.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKETS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
a) Three (3) letters of recommendation as indicated below:
i) Two (2) from current High School teachers
ii) One (1) from a member of the community such as clergy, employer, organization leader
(Letters of recommendation may be uploaded through the portal or mailed to the below listed address)
b) High School Transcript with an official school seal and signature
(Official transcripts should be mailed to the below listed address)
P.O. Box 5684
Somerset, NJ 08873
c) Essay on the topic, “How Do We Keep Dr. King’s Dream Alive Today,” 500-700 words, typed, and double-spaced
3) Candidates for Academic scholarship, must include all items indicated in (1) and (2) above
4) Candidates for Community Service scholarship must include all items in (1) and (2), plus a detailed list of their
community service and volunteerism including the following:
a) Name of the organization who received the service
b) Dates of service
5) Candidates for Financial Need Based scholarship must include all items indicated in (1) and (2), plus submit the
a) First two pages of parent's most recently filed tax returns
b) A letter to the foundation explaining any special financial circumstances
6) All completed application packets must be submitted through this portal.
7) Entire completed application packet must be received by Friday, May 5, 2023.
No applications will be accepted after this date.
8) Scholarship recipients will be announced at your school’s annual high school senior awards assembly.