Building Stable Families
Your partnership will help a family thrive
Families here in the Quad Cities are being destroyed by addiction, crisis and poverty. We see it every day:
- Parents separated from kids while serving time behind bars
- Parents not present and engaged with their kids - whether because the parent is working three jobs, checked out on meth, or has lost parental rights
- Parents struggling to meet kids' basic needs due to inflation, exorbitant rent, lack of day care and transportation barriers
- Lack of opportunities for kids to learn and "be kids" because life becomes about "survival"
It's happening in families like Gabe's. Gabe is 38 and spent 8 years sober, working and raising his five kids after overcoming his meth addiction. But then 2020 hit. Between a divorce, injury, job loss and Covid-19 isolation, Gabe returned to his old habits and ended up in jail, separated from his kids. He arrived at One Eighty in 2021 determined to get his life back on track...even if it meant leaving his kids with his parents for more than a year. Gabe has made significant progress including parenting classes, Bible study, mentoring, employment training, and a solid job prospect. But his kids needed him...even while Gabe needed to complete his recovery program among the community and accountability he'd found at One Eighty. Thankfully, the Lord opened an opportunity to move Gabe AND his three teenage children into a One Eighty Family Stability Home this summer - just in time for the kids to start a new school year in their new community. This type of support - serving a parent AND children - builds stable families so the entire family unit can thrive.
In order to offer these practical solutions to families, we need YOU to partner with us. We have some specific opportunities in front of us:
- Family Stability Homes - Last year we had the surprise chance to purchase a multiplex apartment across the street from our Women's Home. Renovations are underway to allow women who graduate from our residential program to live in an affordable and sober environment long term WITH their children. We need your help to complete the renovations and pay off the mortgage. Because every family needs a safe and affordable place to live TOGETHER.
- Family support services - Adults who enter our residential program often need help figuring out how to be parents again. Whether it's a class on parenting, meeting with a financial planner, or helping them regain visitation rights, we walk with them in this journey. Because every child deserves a sober and present parent in their life.
- Creating kid-centric opportunities - We have a long history serving at-risk kids and families in West Davenport through after-school/weekend clubs and free athletic programs. That is about to reach a whole new level as we open the Hope Center in West Davenport where we envision an array of opportunities (think free dance/arts/STEM classes in the evenings, summer day camps, and access to case management services). Because every child needs to feel known, connected, and ready for the future.
These are real opportunities that meet real needs. Serving real kids and their parents. But they also come with real price tags.
· Your gift of $75 allows an under-resourced elementary student in Davenport to participate on a One Eighty baseball or basketball team.
· Your gift of $250 means a parent gets a month of staff supervision, support and encouragement to do the hard work of overcoming addiction.
· Your gift of $500 provides a full month of housing, transportation, classes, work training and Biblical discipleship for a mom or dad committed to life change.
· Your gift of $1,500 will allow us to complete a bathroom in a new Family Stability Home apartment.
· Your gift of $7,000 allows one parent to complete the full 14 months of the One Eighty Develop program so that he or she is ready to be a sober, stable and engaged parent full-time.
Will you join us in Building Stable Families so that together we can begin changing the face of the Quad Cities, one family at a time? Gabe and his kids need you. Many other families need you. Our community needs you.
Your one-time donation will go directly toward these family-building programs. Your regular monthly donation will go even further, allowing us to plan and budget for a future where we address ongoing needs to serve families in the Quad Cities.