Upon completion you will be able to mediate basic disputes and will be prepared to intervene early in a dispute before the situation escalates. You will also learn ways to prevent problems from recurring. Because this is an interactive, interpersonal skills training, you will become more aware of the effect of conflict in your life, how to identify resources in a conflict, and how to use constructive, collaborative strategies to communicate with those in conflict. By suspending your own judgment and advice you will learn to empower others to find their own solutions.
How do I become a Certified District Criminal Court Mediator? In November of 2021, the NCDRC approved the process for the certification to include 16 hours of approved classroom training, followed within 12 months by an eight-hour Apprenticeship with a NC Mediation Center, along with observations, mediations, and an application for certification. A criminal background check is required. Please check in with the NC-DRC for more information. www.NCDRC.gov
How is this Training provided? The NC-DRC requires that remote trainings limit classroom size to 12 participants, so that everyone is able to interact with the trainer(s) during the presentation, i.e., participants can ask questions and receive answers during the live training session. This Training is held via ZOOM and recorded for NC-DRC auditing purposes only. Participants will receive handouts, exercises, outlines, and slides by email before, during and after the training.
Pre-requisites: no prior training is required, however, to be certified the applicant must have a four-year degree from an accredited college or university; have four years of post-high school education through an accredited college, university, or junior college; have four years of full-time work experience; or have any combination thereof; (or) have two years of experience as a staff or volunteer mediator at a community mediation center.
Trainer: Terri C. Masiello
Participants should plan to attend all meeting dates (on Zoom). Class sessions are each Tuesday from 12:30 – 5:00 PM EST. There are 4 scheduled class sessions.
March Course: March 7, 14, 21, & 28
September Course: Sept 5, 12, 19, 26
To give the best quality training experience, we limit the number of participants in each course. If you are unable to attend a class you signed up for, please let us know so we can cancel your registration and free up space for other participants.
- Cancellations received 30+ days prior to the first day of the training are eligible for a refund, less a $25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellations received between 10-30 days prior are eligible for a 50% refund.
- Cancellations received less than 10 days prior are not eligible for a refund.
- If TriadRJ cancels this workshop, all registered participants will be entitled to a full refund of all fees paid.
- If a participant is not present for a workshop (“no show”) for any reason, they will not be entitled to a refund.
- There is no charge to substitute another participant in your place. Please notify Triad RJ with the new participant's name and email address.
For requests for cancellation, refund, or substitution, or with any questions about our registrations policies, please contact Valerie at [email protected]