9th Annual Photo Booth Fundraiser 2022
A Collaborative Photojournalism Essay on Families
The Birth Roots Photo Booth is BACK for its 9th year! This collaborative photojournalism essay on family life is inspired by the momentum for more honesty and transparency about family life, increasing visibility of real childhood stages and phases. This pop-up photo booth is a powerful glimpse into the similar & different ways that families take shape as they grow and change and experience big love and big uncertainty, capturing moments of our deeply relatable imperfections.
See this link for the back story of this event.
Families register to participate within a 15-minute window for their 3 minute pop up micro-session with Emilie Inc! (NOTE: we are selling fewer tickets than last year for a smoother experience).
Participants should not expect formal portraits. This is a playful snapshot of family and human authenticity - silly, goofy, authentic facial expressions capturing a moment of our children's growth & development. Laughing, squinting, nose to nose, cheek to cheek, raised eyebrows, the interplay of relationship... all the things! The opposite of "hold still for the camera," that children tend to enjoy a whole lot more.
On THURSDAY MAY 5th, tickets for the Photo Booth Benefit will go on sale for the THURSDAY JUNE 2nd event located at Birth Roots Outdoor Classroom at 16 Vannah Avenue, Portland, ME. Rain date - Thursday, June 9th.
2022 Benefit Ticket Price - $195
This event is a benefit supporting the nonprofit organization Birth Roots Center for Community Supported Parenting, in its mission to provide programming that changes outcomes in early parenting and family life, updates outdated narratives, and creates the conditions for a culture of community support to take root.
How to participate:
- Make a reservation online.
- Choose from one of the time slots during the Golden Light of 4:00 to 6:00pm.
- Participants will be given access to a password protected gallery to download a collection of black and white images to share or print as you please.
WAIT! Before you participate in this fundraising event, it is important to fully understand what the benefit is and is not. There are many "mini-session" opportunities out there for family portraits if that is what you are looking for, but that is not what this event is. These images might include eyes open or closed, looking up, down or away. Not everyone in your party will necessarily be facing the same direction, in the center-middle of the frame, or looking at the same focal point at the same time. Formal portraiture is not the intent or purpose of this photojournalism essay project and fundraising event.
By clicking purchase, I am agreeing to the following terms:
- We understand that this event is a fundraiser for Birth Roots. Tickets are non-refundable, but they are transferable, however, and may be sold or given to another family.
- We understand that the photographer is volunteering her time as a generous gift to Birth Roots and should not be contacted with requests for redo's or refunds.
- We understand that the photographer will produce a collection of our family in motion, but not individual shots of each member separately.
- We understand that, due to the excessive time involved in making individual, separate galleries, images will be made available in one shared gallery only accessible to participants. There is value in seeing one's own images in the context of the complete "essay." Some images may be included in Birth Roots' media promotion of our events.
- We understand that this is an outdoor event with a rain date (6/9/22)
*In collaboration with Emilie Inc., it is our 2022 Fundraising goal to sell all 38 tickets at the price of $195. If by chance there are any unsold tickets on May 19th, we will make them available for $125 at noon that day.
As a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, Birth Roots provides a service to the community that addresses an unmet need or solves a problem for which there is no public funding, investment, or infrastructure. To offset costs associated with providing these services, nonprofits fundraise so as to not transfer the full cost to their participants or audience. The price of Birth Roots programs brings in approximately 60% of the actual cost to provide these services. Many nonprofits' fundraising strategies include 5K's, Gala Dinners, or Auctions. Birth Roots has maintained an organizational commitment to a fundraising model that is programmatically relevant to our audience. Thank you for supporting the important work of creating the conditions for a culture of Community Supported Parenting to take root in our language, frameworks, and our policies!
TICKETS WILL GO ON SALE AT 12:00PM EST ON MAY 5!
Please check back soon!
This campaign has ended or is not currently active.
Contact us if you would like more information on how to support!