February Volunteering at King County
If you light a lamp for somebody, it brightens everyone's path.
Youth Rise of Circle Faith Future is a group of like-minded individuals and community members that seek to provide quality, innovative, and stable programming and services to court-involved youth. Our motto is “listen, listen, love, love” which supports our core values of listening, cultivating community, anti-racism awareness, and practices of peacemaking.
To sign up, press the blue "Volunteer at King County" button!
King County Youth Service Center 1211 E Alder St
Seattle, WA 98122
Goal of the Position: To develop relationships with youth that are involved with incarceration that will promote positive relationships, development, and decision-making.
Role: The mentor’s role is to support a variety of mentees by:
- Empowering them to resolve current issues and to develop coping strategies for the future.
- Provide a model for a healthy, trusting relationship through clear communication and setting appropriate boundaries.
- Acknowledging their strengths, talents and gifts and encouraging them to find ways to use them.
- Be an active listener and offer support and encouragement when appropriate.
- Complete application process, consisting of application, references, interview, background checks and volunteer training.
- Monthly supervision reports to the Program Coordinator.
- Maintain confidentiality of participants.
- Clear communication with the youth, staff and Program Coordinator.
- Meet a variety of youth and provide a listening presence focused on co-creating a session together.
- King County Detention Center
- A mentor is not to bring a mentee to his/her home.
- Monthly supervision reports provided to the Program Coordinator.
- Monthly trainings provided by the Program Coordinator (both synchronous and asynchronous and allowing for summer vacation)
- Individual meetings with Program Coordinator when necessary.
- Make a difference in the life of youth.
- Learn about yourself, personal growth.
- Give back and contribute to the community.
- Have fun!