April Volunteering at King County
If you light a lamp for somebody, it brightens everyone's path.
Youth Rise of Circle Faith Future is a group of like-minded individuals and community members that seek to provide quality, innovative, and stable programming and services to court-involved youth. Our motto is “listen, listen, love, love” which supports our core values of listening, cultivating community, anti-racism awareness, and practices of peacemaking.
To sign up, press the blue "Volunteer at King County" button!
If you need any help with the signup process, please contact Rev. Terri Stewart or Jo Jo Bromfield.
King County Youth Service Center 1211 E Alder St
Seattle, WA 98122
Goal of the Position: To develop relationships with youth that are involved with incarceration that will promote positive relationships, development, and decision-making.
Role: The mentor’s role is to support a variety of mentees by:
- Empowering them to resolve current issues and to develop coping strategies for the future.
- Provide a model for a healthy, trusting relationship through clear communication and setting appropriate boundaries.
- Acknowledging their strengths, talents and gifts and encouraging them to find ways to use them.
- Be an active listener and offer support and encouragement when appropriate.
- Complete application process, consisting of application, references, interview, background checks and volunteer training.
- Monthly supervision reports to the Program Coordinator.
- Maintain confidentiality of participants.
- Clear communication with the youth, staff and Program Coordinator.
- Meet a variety of youth and provide a listening presence focused on co-creating a session together.
- King County Detention Center
- A mentor is not to bring a mentee to his/her home.
- Monthly supervision reports provided to the Program Coordinator.
- Monthly trainings provided by the Program Coordinator (both synchronous and asynchronous and allowing for summer vacation)
- Individual meetings with Program Coordinator when necessary.
- Make a difference in the life of youth.
- Learn about yourself, personal growth.
- Give back and contribute to the community.
- Have fun!