NCDSA is pleased to invite you to participate in The Learning Program™ LEVEL 1 for the 2023/2024 school year. Direct instruction will be provided to parents with an emphasis on literacy, math, language, fine motor, and social skills in 10 monthly virtual sessions. Over the past 16 years, the Learning Program has evolved into a national model for intervention committed to helping students with Down syndrome succeed.
- NCDSA is an affiliate-partner of the Learning Program™, a nationally-recognized model for parent-focused intervention developed by the Down Syndrome Foundation (Orange County, CA), this program is grounded on evidence-based approaches established by world-recognized leaders in cognitive research.
- The Learning Program™ is an innovative program that serves as a platform for sharing instructional strategies, resources, and activities to improve academic outcomes for students with Down syndrome, equipping families with the knowledge and tools to work effectively at home and at school.
- All sessions will be conducted ONLINE. Components of the student sessions will be incorporated into our monthly online parent sessions, providing parents with free materials and access to resources to utilize with students.
- The Learning Program cost is $350/ participant. NCDSA is proud to provide this program free of charge to our families that commit to complete the entire program. A deposit of $50 is required to hold your spot for the entire session. If you attend all sessions you will receive your deposit back. If you need financial assistance please email [email protected].
Level 1 is generally recommended for those working with students in preschool through 1st grade (roughly ages 3-6). Level 1 focuses on supporting development of literacy skills (e.g., vocabulary development, sight word acquisition, sentence building, and phonemic awareness) and math skills (e.g., early number concepts to 20, colors/shapes, sorting, patterning, and time). It also addresses general topics such as educational options, fostering independence, effective learning sessions, and memory.
Learning Program Online™ Level 1 will include:
- 10 live (virtual) learning sessions (1 per month)
- Resource packets provided each month including 1 sight word reader, printable resources, and teaching guides
- Access to a private NCDSA Private LP Facebook page
- Access to additional free downloadable resources related to literacy, math and each session’s topic
Learning Program™ Level 1 Session Dates
*All sessions will take place from 8am-10am on the following dates:
- Fall semester: September 9, October 14, November 11, December 9
- Spring semester: January 13, February 10, March 9, April 13, May 11, June 8
Additional information for your consideration:
- Enrollment in the program is limited
- Registration and deposit must be received by August 31, 2023 for a guaranteed spot
- Each class will meet online once a month from September 2023 through June 2024 for 2 hours per session
- NCDSA will provide 10 Free Learning Program Books and will offer free resources to download from the LP Online Portal. Additionally, we encourage you to purchase the additional set of reading resources at a discounted rate.