VAFMA Market Manager Certification Course 101
Farmers market management requires a wide range of knowledge & skills to create a profitable market for farmers, a vibrant and diverse shopping experience for consumers, and a market that engages community partners. The Virginia Farmers Market Association (VAFMA) is pleased to offer a 14-week interactive, engaging, student-centered learning experience addressing real-world market issues. This certification program will train market managers in best practices on topics, such as:
Community Interest Assessment & Setting Market ObjectivesPublic SafetyRecruiting and Retaining VendorsAdministration - What Systems Do You NeedRules and PoliciesFood SafetyMarketing and Social MediaMarket DataSpecial Event PlanningOperating a Successful Incentive Program (SNAP, WIC, Senior)Community and Market PartnershipsOpening Day!
Farmers Markets and Community Health and Partnerships
Outcomes of Certification:
Program participants who complete the full curriculum requirements will receive a signed certificate and will have earned the title of Certified Market Manager. As a professionally trained Certified Market Manager, graduates of the program will:
- Be fully knowledgeable in today’s best practices for managing farmers markets
- Learn strategic tactics to expand and optimize their farmers market potential
- Be equipped to build successful relationships with farmers, shoppers, and politicians
- Use their certification to leverage support and funding for their market
Requirements for Certification:
1. Complete assigned modules during course & engage in weekly discussions throughout the program.
2. Complete all homework assignments and post within two weeks for each session (not all sessions will require homework).
3. Complete all quizzes for each section scoring a minimum of 80%.
Dates of Classes:
Online sessions Fridays 10:00 AM-12:00 noon January 26 – April 26, 2024 EST
All sessions are completed through online webinars held on Friday mornings from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM EST. Participants must have regular access to the Internet and a computer with video/sound capabilities. Classes are recorded and participants do not have to attend live.
14 weeks. Every module has homework and the opportunity to participate in a discussion group with a trained professional in that area of study.
Sessions will be recorded for participants to review at a later time if needed.
VAFMA will provide several needs-based scholarships. Please apply here.
Checks will also be accepted. Enter the coupon code “Check” when registering and send your check to:
Virginia Farmers Market Association
14241 Midlothian Trnpk, #153
Midlothian, Virginia 23113
Thank You to our Sponsors & Partners!
Virginia Family Nutrition Program
Virginia Cooperative Extension