Join Three Rivers Waterkeeper on the Explorer Boat
celebrating our progress made towards clean water with conversations on where we still need to go.
When: October 21st, 5:00-7:00 pm
Where: Rivers of Steel, Explorer Boat
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- Celebration on the Explorer Boat*
- Watershed Education & Macroinvertebrate table
- Sweetwater Beer
- Wine & Soft Drinks
- Farmer X Baker Grazing Boards and appetizers - zero food waste!
- Klean Kanteen Metal Pint Pint Glass with our new logo design
- Door Prizes
- Waste-Free dinnerware with Dianne's Dishware
Silent Auction & Raffle Item Sponsors!
- Gift packages from Sweetwater Brewery, Patagonia, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Steelers, Commonplace Coffee, The Pittsburgh Winery and Three Rivers Waterkeeper.
- Gift Certificates from Let’s Roam Scavenger Hunts, Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, Oakmont Bakery, Top Gulf Pittsburgh, The Refillery, WV Mountain Trail Adventures, Redfin Blues, and Gourmet Gift Baskets.
- Overnight stay at Powdermill Nature Reserve.
- Weekend Getaway at Seven Springs sponsored by Dr. Lauryn Kohut, New York Life Insurance Company.
- Custom Pittsburgh-influenced jewelry from L J Boss Company Fine Custom Jewelry.
- Special Boat tour of the Pittsburgh Pool from Three Rivers Waterkeeper.
Event Sponsors: Foundation for PA Watersheds, Pittsburgh Public Transit, Farmer x Baker, and Rivers of Steel.
Full List of Silent Auction Items & Sponsors Coming Soon!
Love to Travel?
Check out our on-line auction that is live and will run through October 21st when we close the in-person auction.
It's a Celebration... with a purpose!
The Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio Rivers make up the headwaters of the Ohio River Basin and provide drinking water to over 5 million people and support a variety of plant and animal life. These rivers suffer from a combination of legacy and novel pollution sources, the most common of which are acid mine drainage, combined sewage overflows, increased flooding and stormwater events, and industrial pollution. Nearly a third of our region’s rivers and streams are considered impaired by the PA Department of Environmental Protection.
The Three Rivers Waterkeeper protects the drinking water of nearly five million people and the habitat of many animals and plants, including endangered species such as the salamander mussel. Over the modern history of our region, mass industrialization polluted our waterways, and our rivers became devoid of aquatic life. Fortunately, with the implementation of the 1972 Clean Water Act and subsequent clean water laws at the local, state, and federal levels, community organizations have been able to hold polluters accountable. As a result, we have seen wildlife come back to our rivers – including our national bird, the Bald Eagle. On or along the Allegheny River alone, the US Forest Service has documented over 50 mammals, 200 birds, 25 amphibians, 20 reptiles, 80 fishes, and 25 freshwater mussels. These waterways also serve as a source of recreation and a way to connect people to nature through positive experiences on our waterways.
As your Waterkeeper based in Pittsburgh, we hold polluters accountable and ensure that our local, state and federal governments enforce the clean water laws which protect the public and environmental health. We combine scientific and legal advocacy to protect the water quality of the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio Rivers, and their respective watersheds. We are part of the Waterkeeper Alliance—a global movement of organizations working for clean, healthy, and abundant water for all people and the planet. We also partner with local environmental organizations to educate our community members, connect them to their waterways, and ensure clean waters for future generations. Protecting our waterways is critical to the health and economic prosperity of our region and to ensuring environmental justice for our communities.
Proceeds from this event help us hold polluters accountable and provide free educational programming.
*The Explorer Boat is currently undergoing repairs and not sailing. We will remain docked, but that will not stop us from enjoying our waterways and the sunset! Because we are not sailing, we will be able to offer raffle tickets for some amazing prizes included in the admission price.