"The literal moment I heard about Austin Angels and what they stood for my heart began to beat for this organization. I feel called to lead this chapter here in Houston because every child deserves and has the right to know they are wanted, loved, and matter! The time is now to get to work and show our children they really are the future." – Dayahna Segura
Watch the founder's story below.
• Nationally, 50% of the homeless population spent time in foster care.
• The pregnancy rate for girls ages 13 to 17 in Texas foster care is almost five times higher than the rate for other Texas girls in that age group.
• Only about 50% of those who age out of care will obtain a high school diploma.
• 97% of children in foster care will not graduate from college, despite the fact that as wards of the state, they receive a full-ride to any state school of their choice.
It has been found that children who take part in the Love Box program:
- Are less likely to move. (Did you know that children in care move, on average, 7 times in 2 years?)
- Perform better in school.
- Are beginning to form attachments.
- Have increased self-worth.
- Have a life plan when they age out. (youth are encouraged to join a branch of service, enroll in college, or enroll in a trade school upon aging out of the system.)
"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller.