Preserving Dignity & Purpose For Our Elders
My name is Lauren Knatz, and I'm the founder of Instrumental Peace (IP). IP is an organization in Central PA whose mission is to use music and story as a healing tool to empower those at end of life by reactivating memories, fostering meaning and purpose, inspiring community and cultivating legacy.
IP is diligently cultivating our palliative care and hospice care music service and is working to develop a comprehensive curriculum for facility staff and other caregivers, including home health care workers and family. The curriculum is designed to improve communication. IP was recently awarded fiscal sponsorship with HSI, and we are now in the process of raising money to continue the development of our curriculum and pay our contractors.
The program is designed to:
* Build community and improve staff/resident relations
* Cultivate empathy by bridging generations
* Combat burnout and retain employees
* Improve continuity of care for residents
* Deliver innovative training for staff development and recruitment
* Introduce an element of spontaneity and joy
* Offset sensory deprivation and improve mental acuity
* Reduce agitation and anxiety
* Minimize the need for antipsychotic medications
* Engage residents in real time through familiar music
* Elicit memories to initiate reminiscence and life review
* Employ music to affirm life
* Encourage reconciliation with estranged loved ones
Founder: Lauren D. Knatz
Location: Marietta, PA
Geographical Impact: Central PA
Idea Born: May, 2008
Joined HSI Community: September, 2018
HSI Relationship: Acceleration: Start Something!