Help Willpowered Woman Continue to Make an Impact
Willpowered Woman focuses on empowering women. We educate at high schools, universities, colleges and businesses to prevent intimate partner abuse and support women who have been affected.
We are raising $5,000 this Christmas to continue our impact in the community. $5,000 will cover office space, web hosting and day to day operations that enable us to facilitate talks, lectures and classes to the public and make more of an impact in the community.
We were founded in February 2016. Since that time, with the help of many volunteers and donors, we have:
- Supported 60 survivors to restore their strength and heal from their abusive relationships, sharing resources and enabling them to talk to our trained advocates whenever they need it.
- Facilitated talks, lectures and empowerment classes to 1400 people.
- Reached over 16,000 people online.
Here's what people who have worked with Willpowered Woman are saying:
- “Understanding the power structure of abusive relationships, gave insight into what to look for and the testimonial/personal story was inspirational.”
- “Today I learned the warning signs of an abusive relationship knowing that it takes an individual to step up, and the abused to acknowledge the abusive situation and leave.”
- “In the class they explained how to improve ourselves and encouraged us to have some goals in life.”
- “Lots of resources given: brainstorming and problem solving to overcome obstacles were encouraged and demonstrated.”
- “The class boosted my passion and helped me understand how I can begin to achieve my goals.”
- “I learnt how important it is to put yourself first.”
- “I feel like I should be able to do what I want to do and that an intimate relationship shouldn’t stop that, it should support it.”
Our Founder Caitlin D’Aprano is an intimate partner abuse survivor. After getting married, her husband became violent and abusive. She left with nothing; no visa, nowhere to live and no job. She had escaped to an emergency shelter and was looking for temporary housing, when she contacted nonprofits, the first question she received was, “Do you have children?” When her answer was no, 98% of nonprofits said they couldn’t help her. Women without children are the most underserved in the realm of intimate partner abuse, yet they experience the highest rates.
Caitlin had every reason to go back to her husband: love, family, a roof over her head, but she prevailed against all odds. The amount of willpower it took her to persevere was tremendous, it felt like a force of nature. That’s when Willpowered Woman was born. Willpowered Woman helps women without children identify the early warnings signs of abuse and forced pregnancy and empower them to live their lives on their own terms in the areas of personal finance, reproductive empowerment and setting and achieving goals.
Thank you for supporting Willpowered Woman: without you, our mission would not be possible.