TRUE Relationships Unearth Excellence
Our mentors come from all different backgrounds, but they all share a passion for supporting our children. TRUE Mentors is built around the idea that through healthy, encouraging relationships our greatest potential can be unearthed. When a child has the love, support and encouragement from a dedicated mentor and friend, there is no end to the possibilities life presents.
TRUE Mentors encourages Mentors and Mentees to create their own schedule and engage in activities they both enjoy. In partnership with the Boys and Girls Club of Hoboken, we offer classes once a week for our mentors and children to participate in together. Check out our great list of activities on our calendar.
Wondering whether you’d be a good TRUE Mentor? Here is an overview of some of the requirements:
- 18 years or older
- Live in or around Hoboken, NJ
- Willing and able to commit to a one-year relationship with a mentee
- Willing and able to spend a minimum of 8 hours per month with a mentee
- The desire to change the course of a child’s life as well as their own
- TRUE Mentors will interview you, train you and help you get a background check
TRUE Relationships Unearth Excellence
Jubilee Center 601 Jackson St, Fourth Floor
Hoboken, New Jersey 07030
This position intends to engage the
mentee by establishing and maintaining a meaningful relationship. The primary
goal of this is to form a one-on-one relationship that provides support and
help in reaching the youth’s potential.
Spend time with mentee on activities that both of you enjoy
- 1 Year Commitment
- 8 hours per month
Interview, training & background check
- 45 minute in-person interview. Prior to attending the interview, please fill our part two of the application here.
- 2 Hour Training
- Background Check - fee required (financial assistance is available upon request)
Coordinate match activities (text/phone call/email) with family & mentee and keep in contact between activities
-30 minutes per month, depending on family and age of mentee
Duties of the Position:
- Go through all prior training
& screening before being matched including an in person interview
& background check.
- Pursue relationship at the
very beginning and set expectations.
- Plan creative and mutually
enjoyable activities with mentee & family which both of you enjoy for
at least 1 year and minimum of 8 hours in a month.
- Maintain relationship with
mentee and family between times, especially at times when you are not able
- Communicate frequently and
share issues with relationship manager, including completion of the
monthly survey and responding to all emails.
- Attend ongoing training and
events to learn as a mentor.
- Support and take support from
other mentors and relationship managers on new ideas by attending mentor
events and group activities.
- Keep trying new things with
mentee to strengthen relationship.
Requirements of the Position:
- Should be at least 18 years of age and live in
Hoboken or surrounding area.
- Ability to commit to 1 year in the program
- Should be able to attend a 1 hour interview, 2 hour
training, and get background check before being matched along with any
other required screenings.
- Willing to form meaningful relationships and put
effort into establishing this relationship.
- Should be a strong communicator.
- Should be reliable to build trust with mentee &
- Open to trying new things with mentee.
- Able to see potential in others and encourage them
A strong relationship between the
mentor, mentee and family past the 1 year mark of time commitment, along
with consistency in communication, will reflect that the mentor can be trusted
and will thus be given more responsibilities and a suitable position depending
on organizations requirements and level of commitment & interest by mentor.
(Opportunities for strategy team, other team members,
training position, or support of new mentors)