Bakersfield Angels Fundraiser
"The community of Bakersfield is known for its crazy generosity. We rally around and behind any worthy cause. Yet there is a cause of epidemic proportions that has been largely ignored. Turn on the news and you will no doubt hear a story about our ever-growing populations of homeless people, prisoners, and sex-trafficking victims - and there is a common denominator. Nationally, 50% of our homeless population has spent time in foster care. Nearly half of all children that age out of foster care will be incarcerated within 2 years. Statistics show that a shocking 66% of children in foster care will be homeless, go to jail, be sex trafficked or die within one year of leaving the system. Why is the spotlight not on our struggling foster care system? We can do better. It’s time we start tackling the root of our problems.
There are over 2,000 children in foster care in Kern County. Neglect is the number one reason children are removed from their homes. We know that not everyone is called to foster and not everyone is called to adopt, but everyone can make a difference in a child’s life. Through partnering with Bakersfield Angels, you can help walk alongside and encourage children in the foster care system. We can wrap community and support around their caretakers. Together we can help each child in the greater Bakersfield area feel seen, known, and loved and help them to heal the emotional, physical, behavioral and academic problems that plague them. As Susan Ramirez, the CEO of National Angels, said, 'every child deserves to have one healthy adult that knows the color of their eyes and the passions of their heart.' Please join us in our God-sized dream of changing these statistics and the trajectory of children’s lives experiencing foster care here in Bako." – Allison McClain
National Angels wraps community around children in foster care, as well as their caretakers, by offering consistent support through intentional giving, relationship-building, and mentorship. They accomplish this through their Love Box program, which matches dedicated volunteers with children in foster care and their families. Volunteers meet practical, everyday needs while building intentional relationships with the family they serve each month. When foster families are matched with committed volunteers, parents feel supported and children gain a sense of belonging and self-confidence.
Watch the National Angels mission video below.
• Nationally, 50% of the homeless population spent time in foster care.
• Young women in foster care are more than 2x as likely as their peers (not in foster care) to become pregnant by age 19.
• Only about 50% of those who age out of care will obtain a high school diploma.
• 97% of children in foster care will not graduate from college, despite the fact that as wards of the state, they receive a full-ride to any state school of their choice.
We have seen many of the children and youth in our programs:
- Move less often, due to increased family support
- Begin to make better grades
- Form attachments with volunteers
- Have increased self-worth
- Feel supported and identify goals
- Have a life plan when they age out (Youth are encouraged to join a branch of service, enroll in college, or enroll in a trade school upon aging out of the system.)
"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller.