#TellCancerToTakeAHike 2020 Virtual Hikeathon
Tell cancer (and covid) to take a hike!
- Supporting you during social distancing and safer at home through our on-line community programming like guided meditation, stretching, active movement, music therapy, nutrition classes and more. (If you haven't tried one of our classes, check them out here!)
- Cancer to 14K hiking-based conditioning program for survivors and caregivers of all fitness levels. Returning in 2021.
- Hikes and walks to connect you with nature and one another, keep you fit and clear your head from all your stresses. Socially-distanced hikes and walks are coming back soon!
- Survivor-caregiver retreats where you can enjoy the beauty of the mountains, meet new friends, and really "Tell cancer to take a hike." We hope to offer retreats again in 2021.
We normally get nearly half of our funding from our annual in-person hikeathon and dinner events. In this time of the coronavirus pandemic, we're counting on the #TellCancerToTakeAHike Virtual Hikeathon to carry the load. Now more than ever, we need your help to keep us strong going into 2021 and beyond. That's why we're asking you to help us by joining our Virtual Hikeathon. Our goal is to raise $40,000. This will cover about 6 months of operations and programs, and allow us to be ready for next year’s on-line and in-person programming.
If you love Live By Living, we ask that you help us reach this ambitious goal. Here's what you can do:
- Register for the #TellCancerToTakeAHike Virtual Hikeathon by clicking on the "Register Today" button above. You'll get a special event t-shirt to wear all the time, but especially during the actual Hikeathon. Your $45 registration fee goes to support Live By Living.
- Train. This part's optional, but staying active is important for a lot of reasons! One of them is that it helps keep your immune system strong (hello, Covid), gets oxygen to your brain, and just makes you feel better. Being active outside is even more powerful medicine for keeping depression and anxiety at bay.
- October 10-31: Hike! We can't bring people together while the virus is still raging, so you get to choose your own route and time to hike or walk. Sometime between October 10 and October 31, go out and hit the trail! With the great fall weather, and to help us meet our $40,000 goal, we're extending the hikeathon a couple more weekends. Your hike or walk doesn't have to be any particular distance -- walk around your neighborhood, climb a 14'er, or anything in between. The important thing is to get outside, and be sure to wear your event t-shirt! Take care to practice proper social distancing and wear your mask at least when you can't maintain 6 foot distance. Have a Plan B in case the trail you chose is too busy.
- Share your training and your hike. Take selfies during your training and event hike, and post them to your favorite social media platforms with the hashtags #LiveByLiving and #TellCancerToTakeAHike. Combine one or both of these with #cancer or #cancersurvivor. Be sure to add them to the Live By Living Facebook page, too! If you can, make a video. Tell people in a minute or two why you are out supporting Live By Living. Be sure to post your videos to social media and send them to us, too. We'll create a wall of photos to commemorate the event.
- Consider making an additional donation, if you are in a position to do so. After you register, you will have the opportunity to add a donation by clicking on the "Additional Donation" button.
- Fundraise. Let your friends and family know how much Live By Living means to you, and give them the opportunity to support it, too. While the fundraising part is optional, it's a great way to share something you love -- Live By Living -- with others so they can learn to love it too! When you register for the Hikeathon, you'll have a chance to create your own fundraising page. You can also join a team, or create your own team with family and friends, whether they live here in Colorado, or across the country! Just click on the "Become a Fundraiser" button. Never raised money for a charity before? Don't fret. Here are some time-tested-strategies and tips for raising money. We'll provide more tips each week. Feel free to reach out to us any time for additional help. There will be prizes for the top fundraisers and fundraising teams. Stay tuned for more details.