New Jersey Angels Fundraiser
"4500 kids are in New Jersey’s foster care system. The opportunity to make a true impact is within reach for all of us. New Jersey Angels, a chapter of National Angels, is coming and bringing effective, community-building, meaningful programs that have brought results around the country. National Angels volunteer Love Box groups and Dare to Dream mentors engage with kids in foster care and their caretakers in order to sustainably change their experience of foster care.
50% of foster families close their doors during the first year of being certified, due to a lack of support. When those doors close, children in care must be placed in a different foster home. With each change in placement, children experience educational delays and a multitude of additional trauma.
When a child has a Love Box group, the child and the entire foster family are wrapped in community to support their social and emotional well-being as well as their practical needs. That support leads to reduced rates of home closures and fewer placements for a child. A stable home during their time in care is a key factor in reducing the negative impacts of foster care on children. The Love Box program is a win for everyone involved! New Jersey Angels will bring the Love Box program to our kids and lives will change.
97% of kids in foster care do not graduate from college; 50% do not graduate from high school. Far too many children who age out of foster care become part of the homeless and prison populations due to lack of resources, guidance and support. Still more become victims of human trafficking.
Dare to Dream mentors build trusting consistent relationships with young people who are at risk of aging out of the foster care system. With a mentor, young people learn life skills, explore career options, find their strengths and passions, and develop a plan for their future that minimizes the odds stacked against them. Dare to Dream brings hope and breaks cycles. New Jersey Angels will bring the Dare to Dream program to our kids and lives will change.
New Jersey’s kids in foster care need us now. Join us as we make a true impact.
Show New Jersey’s kids in foster care your support by becoming a founding donor today." – Sheryl Oliver
National Angels wraps community around children in foster care, as well as their caretakers, by offering consistent support through intentional giving, relationship-building, and mentorship. They accomplish this through their Love Box program, which matches dedicated volunteers with children in foster care and their families. Volunteers meet practical, everyday needs while building intentional relationships with the family they serve each month. When foster families are matched with committed volunteers, parents feel supported and children gain a sense of belonging and self-confidence.
Watch the National Angels mission video below.
• Nationally, 50% of the homeless population spent time in foster care.
• Young women in foster care are more than 2x as likely as their peers (not in foster care) to become pregnant by age 19.
• Only about 50% of those who age out of care will obtain a high school diploma.
• 97% of children in foster care will not graduate from college, despite the fact that as wards of the state, they receive a full-ride to any state school of their choice.
We have seen many of the children and youth in our programs:
- Move less often, due to increased family support
- Begin to make better grades
- Form attachments with volunteers
- Have increased self-worth
- Feel supported and identify goals
- Have a life plan when they age out (Youth are encouraged to join a branch of service, enroll in college, or enroll in a trade school upon aging out of the system.)
"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller.