Just Roots Chicago's Growing Together Campaign
In the spring of 2017, Just Roots Chicago & Saint James Catholic Church forged a beautiful partnership. Just Roots began delivering fresh, culturally relevant produce from their farm in Bronzeville to the Saint James Food Pantry. The Saint James Food Pantry incorporated the produce into their weekly food distribution programs, primarily serving residents of Bronzeville, Chinatown, and South Loop.
Three years later, Just Roots & Saint James have partnered together to build a new 18,000 square foot community farm at 2936 S. Wabash Avenue, just a few steps away from the church and food pantry. The new farm will be used to:
- Grow over 10,000 pounds of culturally relevant produce annually
- Provide free educational programming that empowers people with the skills to grow their own food
- Build community through events, shared gathering space, and good food!
This Winter, Just Roots is raising money to support programming efforts at the new community farm. Money raised will support:
- The growing, harvesting, and distribution of over 3,000 pounds of produce to the Saint James Food Pantry
- Educational programming initiatives available to local community members at no cost
- The development of a weekly farm stand program, which will feature a variety of seasonal veggies being grown at the farm.
During this time of great need, we invite you to support our work at Just Roots by making a donation. Your contribution will ensure that every Chicagoan has access to food that's beneficial for their health, their community, and the environment