VAFMA Market Manager Certification Program 2021
VAFMA Market Manager Certification Course
Farmers market management requires a wide range of knowledge & skills to create a profitable market for farmers, a vibrant and diverse shopping experience for consumers, and a market that engages community partners. Market Managers have requested comprehensive training and we have heard your voices. The Virginia Farmers Market Association (VAFMA) is pleased to offer a 15-week interactive, engaging, student-centered learning experience addressing real-world market issues. This certification program will train market managers in best practices on the following topics:
- The Role of Market Manager
- Market Rules, Policies, and Governance
- Market Operations: Accounting, Sales & Expenses, SNAP
- Conflict Management
- Special Events: Planning
- Marketing and Social Media
- Grant Writing and Fundraising
- Market Data & Reporting
- Food Safety at the Market
- Racial Equity at the Farmers Market
- Farmers market infectious preparedness and planning and COVID-19 training
Outcomes of Certification:
Program participants who complete the full curriculum requirements will receive a signed certificate and will have earned the title of Certified Market Manager. As a professionally trained Certified Market Manager, graduates of the program will:
- Be fully knowledgeable in today’s best practices for managing farmers markets
- Learn strategic tactics to expand and optimize their farmers market potential
- Be equipped to build successful relationships with farmers, shoppers, and politicians
- Use their certification to leverage support and funding for their market
Requirements for Certification:
- Complete 9 modules in 15 weeks & engage in bi-weekly discussions throughout the program.
- Complete all homework assignments and post within two weeks for each session (not all sessions will require homework).
- Complete all quizzes for each section scoring a minimum of 80%.
Dates of Classes:
Online sessions Fridays 10:00 AM-12:00 noon January 22 – April 30, 2021
All sessions are completed through online webinars held on Friday mornings from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM. Participants must have regular access to the internet and a computer with video/sound capabilities.
15 weeks; the First 2 weeks of each module will start with an online webinar. The third week of a workshop you will have homework due and the opportunity to participate in a discussion group with a trained professional in that area of study.
Sessions will be recorded for participants to review at a later time if needed.
VAFMA will provide 3 needs-based scholarships — 1 full and 2 partial. Contact Kim Hutchinson for details.
Checks will also be accepted. Enter the coupon code “Check” when registering and send your check to:
Virginia Farmers Market Association
14241 Midlothian Trnpk, #153
Midlothian, Virginia 23113