The Metta of Nature (and the Nature of Metta)
Open Community Practice and Dharma Talk, in-person/hybrid at 40 Center St, Northampton MA
with Devon Hase
Wednesday, August 17, 2022; 7:00-8:30pm
Suggested donation: $7-25*
Practice together in-person or via Zoom with other sangha members in a relaxed atmosphere (7:00) and enjoy a dharma talk (7:35). Zoom participants may post questions in the chat.
IN-PERSON LOCATION: The Group Room at 40 Center St, Northampton MA
See COVID protocols and parking info further below.
Chairs and cushions available. Please bring your own covered water bottle.
Devon Hase began intensive meditation training in 2000. After spending a decade teaching English and social studies in high school and college classrooms, she entered a two-year period of retreat. She has studied at monasteries in Nepal and India, and practices in the Insight and Vajrayana traditions. Currently, Devon teaches at the Insight Meditation Society, Spirit Rock, and throughout North America and Europe. She also mentors dharma practitioners online, and teaches on the Ten Percent Happier and Simple Habit apps. Along with her life partner Nico, she co-authored their first book, How Not to Be a Hot Mess: A Survival Guide for Modern Life, which offers six really good pieces of semi-Buddhist advice to keep you anchored and steady amidst the chaos of modern life. Devon loves long retreat and is passionate about creative ways to bring depth practice into the daily spin of things. She now lives together with Nico in urban retreat in her hometown of Ashland, Oregon, splitting each week between teaching and practice. For more info visit www.devonandnicohase.com.
- Participants must wear N95 or KN95 masks; please bring your own (we will have some available if needed).
- Proof of vaccination required.
- If you have been traveling or caring for unvaccinated children or people, we ask that you take an antigen test before attending.
- There are windows we can open to provide fresh air and cross-ventilation.
- The room has an improved air filtration and circulation system.
- A Field Control Trio Plus portable air purifier will be running (like they have at IMS; H13 HEPA with an ultraviolet light component).
40 Center St. also has central air-conditioning.
There is no on-site parking, please do not park in the big lot behind the building. 40 Center St is close to Masonic Street public parking, which is free after 6:00pm. TD Bank closes at 5pm, so if there isn't an attendant in the box, you can park there. There is also ample street parking.
* If you have the means, please consider a donation tonight. Dana, which is the ancient Pali word for “generosity”, is a fundamental aspect of the Buddha’s teachings. Our teachers have historically received 60% of the dana given for dharma talks, and while this is still true, since the pandemic, we do make sure teachers receive a minimum guaranteed amount. Insight Western Mass operates entirely on the sangha's acts of generosity. Those who donate more are helping to make the center accessible to all. Everyone is welcome to all of our offerings regardless of ability to donate.
You can give in-person, online or send checks to Insight Western Mass, 116 Pleasant Street, Suite 242, Easthampton, MA 01027. FYI: we check for mail once per week.
Dial in by phone for audio only: Call (646) 558-8656. Meeting ID: 943 156 1684. Password: 242
Or cut and paste this URL into your browser: https://zoom.us/j/9431561684?pwd=YVQ1N1VzNWE3dGR4RERSZ1l3Zks0Zz09