The Youth Mural Program located in Grant County is a visually dynamic program that engages young people through the arts, teaching them about the history and culture of their community while producing artistic jewels (murals) throughout the area. It has provided an opportunity for youth to learn about history, problem solving, working collaboratively, and creating a sense of pride and self-worth.
YMP separated from the arts council as of last summer becoming our own entity. As of doing so, we have:
- In partnership with WNMU we received a grant from the Outdoor Equity Fund to do a mural at City of Rocks. This will be a summer camp drawing youth from both Luna County & Grant County
- Planning has begun for a mural in Deming with high school art teachers and students.
- With financial support from the Town, we are in the process of a mural wall restoration at Penny Park. The wall is rebuilt and is waiting for the re-installation of tile mosaic.
- The design is done for the Early Childhood Development Center at WNMU which will be both painted and tiled.
- In process is a tiled mural for the Main street Plaza building to be completed by the end of May, it is in collaboration with YMP, Main Street and a Clean & Beautiful grant.
- We are nearing completion of the Dia de los Muertos mural at the Silver City Museum thanks to ongoing participation of YCC and Aldo Leopold High School.
- And thanks to a 30-Something Grant, we have created a downtown walking tour rack card. And are working on a complete booklet of all the 70+ murals found from Glenwood to Bayard as well as a new improved website.
We very much appreciate the support shown to us this past year, we look forward to continuing.