Essie was diagnosed with Childhood Nephrotic Syndrome and Minimal Change Disease at age 4. The Nephrotic Syndrome Foundation has been a major source of hope and strength for her as she has battled this disease for the last 6 years. She was a recipient of a backpack from the Backpacks of Hope program, and participated in two years of virtual Camp NSF (hoping to attend in person some day.) She wants to give back to NSF by raising the funds to provide a Backpack for Hope for another child with Nephrotic Syndrome. Thank you for helping her reach her goal!
Our Mission: The Nephrotic Syndrome Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting those diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, their families, and the ongoing search for a cure.
Background: Nephrotic Syndrome is a serious and rare auto-immune disease that attacks the kidneys causing them to shut down. There is no known cause or cure. Treatments are extremely limited and consist primarily of steroids and cancer and transplant medications. Many patients are children who spend a major part of their life in and out of the hospital, trying to find a treatment that keeps them in remission while managing the side effects. Receiving this diagnosis is life-changing. It can take the breath out of any parent or child who finds themselves in this situation. Our goal at NSF is to meet each family and child in these tough times and lift each one up as best we can by providing financial and emotional support to help them weather the times to better health, acceptance, and adjustment.
Our Work: NSF offers eight programs to uphold our mission and support children diagnosed with this disease and their families. Those programs include:
- Backpacks of Hope - A backpack of comfort items and medical supplies provided to newly diagnosed patients or those who have been battling in this fight without support (each valued at over $300).
- NSF’s Finding Health Series - An ongoing series offering content, education and wellness segments, sessions and seminars on topics related to the NS journey.
- NSF’s Peer Team - A group of older teens and young adults with NS who support younger patients in their journey.
- Thermometer Program - A hospital-grade thermometer provided to patient families ($300+ value).
- Camp NSF - An annual camp, 100% free, for patients, siblings & families that takes place in Livermore, CA.
- Direct Patient Grants - Support for costs related to caring for a child with NS.
- Little Angels - An unsolicited care package program for young warriors.
- Podcast - Inspirational and authentic stories of warriors living with Nephrotic Syndrome.
Thank you for choosing to be the light for those battling Nephrotic Syndrome.