First off, I would like to thank everyone that has supported me in previous endeavors and goals. In 2019 I ran the Chicago Marathon raising money for Latinos Progresando, a non-profit organization I am truly passionate about.
My family and I immigrated to the United States when I was 7 years old. I grew up in Pilsen, which was a predominantly immigrant community. I loved being surrounded by such a supportive community that made us feel welcome and offered help to us. We had a lot of help and my teachers and family friends made our move slightly easier.
One thing about me - I am a Dreamer - I apply for a work permit every 2 years that allows me to have the opportunities I have now. Without it, I wouldn't be where I am. This wasn't something I was very open about growing up, I was embarrassed but not any more. This doesn't describe who I am but instead is just temporary.
Having gone through hard times where our family needed help, and having a community that was very supportive, I am fundraising for an organization that provides services to the immigrant community and works with thousands of families from many countries. Families like my own.
I am running this marathon for me, because I love to run and spend time with myself. But I am also running it to help and bring attention to a cause and organization that does so much good and carries a big piece of my heart.
Immigration is a big topic and gets more attention every year. Latinos Progresando works with partners and the community to provide wellness programs, MEX talks, scholarships and so much more. They make a big difference in thousands of families lives.
I am asking friends, family and all of you to help me reach my goal. The funds will be going to an amazing cause. Thank you so much for your support!
Latinos Progresando was founded in 1998 with just $200 and a single office on Chicago’s historic 18th Street. Over more than 20 years, the organization has grown in size and sophistication with a combination of compassion, vision, grit, and of course, earning the financial support of some of the city’s most forward-thinking institutions.
Today, Latinos Progresando delivers high-quality information and resources for people to build secure, healthy and productive lives, through:
· The largest Latino-led immigration legal services program in Illinois, which also reaches immigrant victims of domestic violence, and serves families from more than 40 countries around the world
· Operations-focused training and technical assistance for emerging and expanding immigration legal services providers
· A broad vision of wellness that builds on the community’s existing strengths to increase physical and mental health
· Activities that promote peace and celebrate culture
· Coalition-building through a Latinos Progresando-founded and led collaborative of more than 40 institutional partners called the Marshall Square Resource Network
Your support of our runners goes a long way to ensuring that the community has access to the information and resources necessary to thrive.
BENEFITING: LATINOS PROGRESANDO