Fundraising Success Ideas! September 12, 2021
THANK YOU for organizing a team and for supporting the Spina Bifida Association of Iowa through Walk-N-Roll! Our goal is to build a better and brighter future for all those impacted by Spina Bifida, and raising funds
through WNR helps us build that future!
Here are some tips that we hope will help your fundraising success
TEN Steps to Awesome Fundraising for
Let's get rolling!.........
1. Identify your superstar and ask them to join you in your Walk-N-Roll journey 2021.
Who is your Super Star?
Someone in your life who has impacted your
journey with spina bifida--a mentor, friend, teacher, doctor, physical therapist or
someone you admire or aspire to be!
2. Register and set up your team page and include:
A heartfelt story about your journey with Spina Bifida that includes your Super Star
Pictures of yourself and your Super Star
Your fundraising goal and WHY you are raising money
3. Copy the link to your page and paste it in an email to your friends and family telling them about your fundraising goal and why you are raising money. Tips:
Include a picture of yourself and your super star
Ask for a specific amount based on your goal.
Example "I'm asking 20 people to donate $50 to my team so that I can raise $1,000."
4. Send the link to your Super Star and ask them to send an email to their friends and family. Share your tips!
5. Set up a fundraiser on Facebook--it's super easy for you and for your donors! Include a really good picture! Instructions are HERE.
6. Ask your Super Star to set up a Facebook fundraiser on their page. Share your picture with them.
7. Use Instagram to post lots of photos of you and your Super star and the link to your page. Share SBAIA posts.
8. Set up mini-fundraisers--see 20 ideas below and 101 ideas HERE
9. Ask major businesses (such as your employer or businesses in your community) to be a sponsor for your team. Ask for a specific amount to a person you know who has influence. See sponsorship ideas below and look for the sample letter.
10. Promote yourselves – call/email your local media--newspaper, TV, radio--and let them know what you and your super star are doing. Offer to send a photo. Publicity generates donations!
***Don't forget to register to attend the Walk-N-Roll and Adaptive Sports and Recreation Festival. Everyone's welcome! Ask your team and your family to come with you--make sure they register HERE!
20 Ideas for Mini Fundraisers and Raising Funds
Do a Facebook fundraiser (this is the #1 easiest way to raise $ and raise awareness)
Ask your local (and favorite!) restaurant to do a proceeds night (Usually 15-20% goes to your team or SBAIA) Check here for info about Groupraise and restaurant chains
Have a local walk (not everyone can come to Walk-N-Roll)
Have a walk and roll at your school for your student with SB
Ask the principal or teacher to do a one-mile walk for Spina bifida or get wheelchairs brought to school and have a contest to see if kids or teacher or principal can roll a mile in a wheelchair
Ask a teacher or the principal if they are willing to take a pie in the face if a fundraising goal is met
Ask businesses that you support to donate or become a sponsor for your team (for example: ask for $100 and you can put their name on your fundraising page!
Ask your school to have a special "Dress Day" (wear pajamas or hats, etc.) or a day where they pay $5 to do something crazy (that the school allows of course)!
Ask your workplace to have a dress down day--everyone pays $5 to wear jeans or pajama pants?
Challenge your colleagues for one week! If you have a meeting on Zoom, charge $5 for anyone who has their camera turned off during the meeting.
Have a garage sale as a fundraiser--include a big donation jar
Hold another event locally--like an auction, bake sale, golf tournament...
Ask five to ten people to save their change for you for a month. Give them decorated buckets or jars to keep the change in.
Do a challenge match. Ask your friends to match your own gift up to a set amount
Do a 50/50 raffle--50% goes to the winner of the drawing and 50% to your team
Do a challenge event--Ask people to donate a set amount of $ per mile that you walk or roll (or swim or ?) or a loved one who walks/runs prior to walk n roll
Get a group of kids together on a hot day and do a car wash
Pass a bucket at school sporting events if allowed
Have school classrooms do a penny war and winning class gets ice cream party
The classic--have a lemonade stand! Add some cookies!
Corporate or Business ideas for Who to Ask!
Not sure who you should ask to support your WNR team? Here are some ideas for corporate/business support
Who Provides You Goods & Services Related to Spina Bifida
Spina Bifida Clinic
Who Provides You Goods and Services Related to Your Home
Who Provides You Goods and Services Related to Your General Health
Sports Program or Team
Do you have a friend or family member who owns a company or works for a larger company